Gamlingay Railway Station was opened on the 7th July 1862 and closed on the 1st January 1968
In its last years it was manned by Station Master Treg Staniforth and Signalman Bill Mortimer.
It was part of the Varsity Line linking Oxford and Cambridge.
Shortly after opening an extra siding was added leading from the main line to Little Heath and the brickyard. Originally known as Dennis’s Brick Siding, it later became known as Belle Vue Brickworks Siding and remained in service until 20th April 1936. It was used again during WW2 for storing ammunition.
The stations from Cambridge to Bedford were:
Cambridge – Lord’s Bridge – Old North Road – Gamlingay – Potton – Sandy – Blunham – Willington – Bedford St. Johns
Click or tap on an image to enlarge
(Please note: All photos are protected by ®Invisible Watermark)